Trash to Trade is an exciting new community initiative that encourages everyone to give up-cycling a try. In conjunction with participating business associations, Grey Lynn 2030 is working with sustainable businesses and the education sector to encourage people to upcycle items that would normally end up in the landfill.
The project is about moving from discarded to desirable, merging business waste, creativity, business start-ups and upcycling.
We are currently looking for businesses that would be happy to provide leftover business waste, which participants in the competition can then upcycle. For a full list of participating businesses and for more information, please click here.
Trash to Trade competition
The competition invites social entrepreneurs and artisans, as well as the public, to develop a new product from business waste that others are happy to buy or rent. The competition has three categories:
- Young makers. This category is for young people under the age of 19.
- Businesses and Established Artisans. This category is for established businesses or artisans who already have a presence in the community.
- New Designers. This category is for up-and-coming artisans and business school students, who have never previously showcased or sold their work. Establishing both price and demand for the upcycled product is a measure of success.
First prize for each category is a cheque of NZ$500.00 and a free sustainable business consult with one of the participating Business Associations. Second Prize for each category offers a mentoring session with members of the Business Associations, as well as vouchers from various sustainable businesses. Third prize for each category is a whole bunch of vouchers from participating Business Associations, including dining in style for two and more.
People’s Choice Award
The winner of the People’s Choice Award will receive an exciting collection of vouchers from participating business associations.
How to Enter
- If you would like to enter your creations and business plan (not essential for contestants under the age of 19 years) into the Trash to Trade competition, simply fill out ENTRY FORM and e-mail it to email@example.com. As part of your application process you will also need to include ‘before and after’ photos of your product, your business plan and a photo of you or your group.
- If your work is accepted for the Trash to Trade competition, you will then be invited to showcase your creation in the Trash to Trade Finale upstairs at the Grey Lynn Returned Services Club in Grey Lynn on Sunday, the 29thof April, 10 am – 12pm. Further details will be made available to you, then.
If you have any questions, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Terms and Conditions
- All participants must submit a unique product and business plan (not essential for people under the age of 19 years).
- Entries are open to the residents of the wider Auckland area.
- You may enter as an individual or a group.
- Participants will need to submit complete entries by 5pm on Saturday, 21/04/2018.
- All entries must be accompanied by this entry form and associated documentation as outlined above in the ‘How to Enter’ section.
- All accepted entries will be displayed at the “Dragon’s Den” showcase on Sunday, 29/04/2018. This requires your attendance. The winners will be announced on 29/04/2018.
- Grey Lynn 2030, participating Business Associations and the Waitemata Local Board reserve the right to reject incomplete entries.
- The judges’ decision is final.
Trash to Trade Delivered to You in Partnership With: