Grey Lynn 2030 – Transition Community
Grey Lynn 2030 is part of the international, grassroots Transition Towns movement. The goal of Transition Towns is to bring people together to explore how we – as communities – can respond to the challenges and opportunities of climate change and peak oil. Transition Towns works on the belief that communities have within themselves the innovation and ingenuity to create positive solutions to the converging crises of our time.
Grey Lynn 2030 is a local response to the ideas of the Transition initiative. Grey Lynn 2030 is participatory community organisation promoting and engaging in building neighbourhood spirit and cooperation while working towards a vision a self –reliant, positive, resilient, vibrant, connected and sustainable community.
With a positive vision and through practical action we aim to:
- Foster a local identity that is associated with sustainable living
- Build local resilience in terms of food, energy, employment, resource management and economics.
- Seek out methods for reducing energy usage as well as increasing our own community’s self reliance
- Foster and support a diversity of projects which emerge from the community via the focus groups
- Build networks with other organisations and groups in the area who are working towards a similar vision to Grey Lynn 2030.
- Identify ‘gaps’ in knowledge related to community resilience and to make available information and methodologies that facilitate positive change within the community.
- Raise awareness, care for and enhance the natural resources of water, soil, habitats and wildlife.
In meeting our aims Grey Lynn 2030 is committed to being a group that is inclusive, cooperative, transparent, respectful of each other, creative and open to change.
Presently these groups are:
- Gardening – Community Gardens, Urban Food Production, Seed Sharing
- Wilton St Community Garden
- Green Screen – monthly screenings of DVD’s at the community centre for those who want to be entertained and learn more about sustainability and the environment
- Waste Away Group
- Energy Focus Group
- Grey Lynn 2030 Car Boot Market
Grey Lynn 2030 was the catalyst for the Grey Lynn Farmers’ Market which is now run as an incoporated society with a management commmittee. Contact the market at firstname.lastname@example.org. We also kicked off the Grey Lynn Business Assocation which was incorporated in September 2010
Email us at Greylynn2030@gmail.com to subscribe to our contact list. We will not pass your information on to any other organisation. You will receive our regular update about forthcoming events and news which we consider to be of interest to our community.
All our activities are untaken on a voluntary basis without central or local government funding. We have been able to support the focus groups with income from koha collected at meetings and occasional movie nights. The Grey Lynn 2030 Car Boot Market covers the cost of our admin and publicising of our events
Grey Lynn 2030 Transition Community Trust
Grey Lynn 2030 has been run by Steering Committee since October 2008.
In May 2012 we became a chartitable trust.
The Trustees are:
Suzanne Kendrick – Chair
Colinda Rowe - Treasurer
Charlotte Gordon- Secretary
If you would like to add to this site, please contact the WebMistress with any content, Suzanne.Kendrick at gmail.com