Date: 22 September 2011
Subject: Grey Lynn Creates Festival 25 September – 2 October
Shop windows turn into art galleries
As part of Grey Lynn Creates – a week-long festival celebrating creativity and sustainability – a unique collaboration “Window Galleries” opens on Sunday pairing fifteen artists and shops to turn West Lynn into a street based art exhibition.
“The window galleries have resulted in unusual and diverse pairings between retailers and artists including Jude Graveson’s sculptural installations made out of animal gut in the window of Moa boutique, and Elizabeth McClure’s intricately carved glass wine bottles – some still wine filled – at the Wine Vault”. Says Festival Coordinator Shelley Jacobson
“Each event on the programme is being hosted by an individual or team who are committed to their creative discipline. Many of the events invite participation, such as Crafternoon Tea and The Literatti Workshop. The established West Lynn Street Party & Twilight Market features performances by the Velociteers, synchronised cycling with a twist. Grey Lynn Creates offers the community and visitors a fantastic opportunity to have a good time and get creative.” Says Ms Jacobson
Grey Lynn Creates is a free festival, with events including workshops, tours, markets, performances and a group exhibition.
Grey Lynn Creates is part of the REAL New Zealand Festival. Visit www.greylynncreates.co.nz for full timetable and event descriptions.
- Window galleries West Lynn shop windows 25th Sep – 2nd Oct (opening at Dalston at 5pm on Sunday 25th September)
- Art studio trail and tours, Walking map available online 25th Sep – 2nd Oct
- Spring equinox celebration, St Columba church 25th Sep, 10am
- Kraftbomb, Grey Lynn community centre 25th Sep, 11am-2pm
- Crafternoon tea, Grey Lynn community centre 25th Sep, 1-3.30pm
- West Lynn Street Party & Twilight Market 29th Sep, 4-8pm (a Grey Lynn Shout for Samoa event)
- The Velociteers performance 29th Sep, 6pm, 8pm at the West Lynn Shops
- Community festival St Joseph’s school 1st Oct, 12.30-6pm (a Grey Lynn Shout for Samoa event)
- The Literatti, Grey Lynn community centre 1st Oct, 6.30-8.30pm
- Grey Lynn Creates at the Grey Lynn Farmers’ Market, Grey Lynn community centre 2nd Oct 9am-12.30pm
- Composting workshop, Wilton St community garden 2nd Oct, 11am-12pm
- Community gardens tour Meet: Wilton St community garden 2nd Oct, 12.30-2.30pm
Shelley Jacobson, Coordinator, Grey Lynn Creates Festival
027 392 5941 | email@example.com | www.greylynncreates.co.nz